Quick Hitters from Friday night / Saturday morning’s 83-68 victory over Hawaii, moving the Tar Heels to 4-0 on the season.
- I’m too old for games to start this late. That said, I made it all the way through!
- If my eyes saw correctly, Theo Pinson wasn’t wearing any kind of boot. He looked to be wearing tennis shoes. Luke Maye, on the other hand, had on a walking boot.
- Encouraging to see this veteran team play two true road games in their first four of the season.
- Despite the victory, the Heels looked rather lackadaisical for the majority of this game. Chalk it up to the long travel, adjusting to playing a game at 1:00am EST, not getting much time in Hawaii’s gym before the game, looking ahead to the Maui Invitational, or whatever else you want, but this performance was most certainly not the same team we saw in the first three games of the season.
- At the first media timeout, Kennedy Meeks was beating Hawaii 6-4 and already had four rebounds, three of which were offensive.
- UNC held Hawaii to just 7 offensive rebounds, after giving up double digits in this stat category in every other game (30, 17, 15, 12), including the exhibition.
- Joel Berry had zero points in the first half. Didn’t end up scoring till there was just 5:10 left in the game. Also, he uncharacteristically had four turnovers.
- Thankfully, Nate Britt really stepped up his production, scoring 13 on 5-9 shooting (including 3-5 from deep), three assists, one turnover, and two steals.
- Freshman Tony Bradley continues his streak of scoring in double digits every game thus far of his career. He added 13 rebounds in this game to notch the first of what will probably be many double-doubles during his time in Chapel Hill.