Quick Hitters from Tuesday night’s 93-67 over Long Beach State in the Dean Dome.
- With the win, Coach Williams moves into a tie with the legendary coach Lefty Driesell for 9th (786) all-time in Division 1 wins.
- This was the second straight dominant win against a team predicted to win their conference.
- Long Beach State didn’t score until the 12:21 mark of the 1st This is in large part due to the fact that…
- The Carolina defense is already in mid-season form. Moving feet. Hustling. Activity. Diving after balls. They’re playing a brand of defense that last year’s squad took a long time to develop. This is the type of playing that will keep you in games even when the shots aren’t falling.
- This Carolina team is unselfish. It shows in the aforementioned defense, but also in assists. Tonight, there were 20 assists on 32 made baskets.
- Joel Berry is more than living up to his Preseason All-ACC First Team Nomination. He looks like one of the best players in the country.
- For comparison’s sake, I’ll say another word about Joel Berry. I said it several times last year and I’ll say it again: the progression of Joel Berry reminds me a lot of Ty Lawson. The improvement on the outside shot. The pace with which he pushes the ball. The comprehension of how to run Coach Williams’ offense. The understanding of when to use his strength and speed to penetrate and score. The difference is the drive and determination – Berry has a fire in his eyes that I never saw from Lawson.
- Good to see UNC playing with intensity for 40 minutes no matter the opponent or score.
- Freshman Tony Bradley has reached double figure scoring in all three games to begin his Tar Heel career.
- A welcome sight: the Heels have scored 90+ points in all three games this season. It sounds like a broken record, but this scoring output starts with the defense opening things up for the offense.